Friday, August 26, 2016

The (Near)Deadly Comma


Yesterday I was really, really close to f*cked up my fresh Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon install, and I got really close to having to re-install it.
A typo editing the "/etc/fstab" file (I know right?...) What can I say?
The system booted A OK, X Window failed to load, I could login without any problem tho...
Whole mess caused my lovely, fresh system to boot as read only...

Am I a schmuck or what?

In the end I booted onto the recovery mode, but I had to make that mode read and write, since it works as read only by default, because I needed to edit the dreaded "/etc/fstab" file, it just a freaking period, instead of a comma...
On the GRUB menu, press Shift, select the recovery kernel, press "e" and edit the option from:

linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-34-generic root=UUID=76b16fbf-3bb6-47ec-a6e0-51bdf1e6b47a ro recovery nomodeset

to this:

linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-34-generic root=UUID=76b16fbf-3bb6-47ec-a6e0-51bdf1e6b47a rw recovery nomodeset

Save the file, and boot.
I've edited the "/etc/fstab" file and rebooted.
Presto.
The first screenshot aboce shows the correct fstab, while the second one shows the fucked up one...

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home