Friday, October 23, 2015

Testing CloudReady on a T43 & T60p

Yesterday installed CloudReady. (or actually wanted to) on my Thinkpad T43.
But before I get to that, I had to do a couple of things first to actually try to install it, or better yet, to actually create the USB boot drive from Neverware's CloudReady image.

I had to rename the downloaded bin file from "cloudready-free-43.1.37.bin" to "cloudready-free-43.1.37.bin.zip", the instructions on the PDF doc on their site mention that the file might be called either, on my case, it had to be called *.zip, otherwise it failed to create a proper USB boot drive, matter of fact, it failed to do anything.
It took the T43 about an hour and a half to actually make the USB boot drive from the finally renamed bin file.
After that I was able to boot from the USB drive, or actually not... On the Thinkpad T43 it simply failed, over and over and over, with a white screen with a countdown in the upper left corner, with a message and a spinning wheel:

Your system is repairing itself. Please wait.

After that, it rebooted by itself, and this repeated, over and over...

On the Thinkpad T60p things went much smoother, after only one of those cycles with the message "Your system is repairing itself. Please wait." it finally booted onto ChromiumOS.
Just for kicks, loaded a 250 GB SATA HDD on the T60p and installed the thing.

Installing the thing onto the T60p -after all the warning messages that you were about to destroy the data on your drive if you proceed- took about 30 minutes, and no surprises whatsoever.
The WiFi worked Ok (wasn't able to find a way to setup a fixed IP address, tho), the LCD resolution worked (1600x1200), etc.
Anyways, I think I'm not gonna keep that OS for the moment, this is just a test, it seems nice and all, but I don't see any improvement in terms of snappiness compared to the same T60p running Linux Mint XFCE.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob McElwain said...

I have had no success. When preparing to download the software I select Lenovo T60 then it wants a model? What gives? Would like to get it up and running. I have thirteen of these old goodies running Windows 10 but I'm getting nowhere with neverware.

6:13 PM  
Blogger hictio said...

Hi there, Bob.
I don't recall having to specify a Thinkpad model...
Be sure to select the option "Use local image".

10:11 PM  
Blogger Bob McElwain said...

Thanks! hictio,
Did you use Chrome Recovery Creator to build your bootable USB installer?

10:56 PM  
Blogger hictio said...

Yes, I did.
All I had to do was to rename the file I've d'loaded, like I posted above.
After that, it went smooth (on the T60p, as in the T43 nothing happened).

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home