Monday, May 21, 2012

Debian Squeeze on a Thinkpad T60p


Yesterday installed Squeeze on my Thinkpad T60p moster, got an 80 GB SATA drive that I have around and just for fun made a net install, in order to see hwo things went.

Given the Thinkpad is old, and of course, being a Thinkpad, everything works out of the box on Linux and on Debian; only thing that got me a little trouble setting up was the audio, specifically the microphone on Skype (had to fumble a bit with alsamixer on the Terminal) and getting audio (all of it) on a VirtualBox image of a Windows 2000 I have been moving from box to box for ages.


Since there is no way to encrypt your $HOME directory like the Ubuntu installer has, choose to setup the whole thing on a encrypted LVM, mostly to test how that would affect the speed of the system, compared to the usual setup I do on Ubuntu boxes, encrypting only the $HOME.




It was impossible to import the Rhythmbox files from a Precise Pangolin install, which was actually obvious, since it uses a newer version.






RAM usage was about half of what GNOME 3 uses on the same box with a Precise Pangolin installation, but, the encrypted LVM didn't felt like a burden on the system.
Of course, being Gnome 2, installing Global Menu is piece of cake.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous linuxfanboi said...

The Debian Squeeze installer encrypts the /home partition if you selected a separate partition for /home and LVM encryption.

8:02 PM  
Blogger hictio said...

Yeap, thanks.
The thing is, I don't want to have a fixed size /home; since I run LTS, I don't re-install at all, once I find the distro I like, that is.
What I did on the Scientific Linux install I had was to use an encrypted LVM for the whole drive.

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home