Sunday, February 13, 2011

Make Gedit more like Emacs

As an Emacs user, I find ultra annoying that, even if I have setup my GTK apps to use Emacs key bindings gedit refuses to do so on some of those.

So Googled a bit, and found a nice little plugin for Gedit that allows you to customize all the keyboard shortcuts that as they appear on the menu.
To install EditShortcuts on Lucid Lynx, besides having to manually create the directory "plugins" on "~/.gnome2/gedit/" I had to also enable the plugin like:

Edit > Preferences > Plugins

After that it did showed up under the Tools menu entry.

I have been able to get rid of most of the really annoying ones, like: Ctrl+N & Ctrl+H and now they do obey their Emacs instructions, I'm still looking for the one that will allow me to get rid of the dread Gedit action that happens when you use Ctrl+K (incidentally I love that one for Emacs, kill till the end of the line)

On Os X (meaning on the Gedit equivalent of sorts, TextEdit) things are pretty more simple, because the modifier (or operation) key is the Apple (command) one, leaving you free to use the Emacs keybinds without fucking up things like Copy & Paste, etc.

Why not simply use Emacs and be done with? I do, but wanted to test the GTK one on this box, but there is a bug that crashes the GTK version no matter what if you run Gnome Global Menu, so there is only emacs-nox, or actually emacs -nw for launching the GTK version on a Terminal.

EditShortcuts
Gedit Keyboard Shortcuts


Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rich said...

Emacs! I remember arguing with some programmers at my first tech writing job about which was better to use: Emacs or VI. I went with Emacs. The programmers said VI.

8:49 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

Ahh, old the religious war... The best you can do is learn both, vi because it is what you'll find on every single *nix (default) install, and Emacs because it is cooler ;)

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home