Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hello again, OpenBSD


Installed it, just for kicks, on my Sony Vaio monster.

Everything went amazingly well, the new OpenBSD installer its a breeze togo by, and, even if it is totally text driven, (not even Curses, I guess) has one plus that I haven't seeing on any OS install so far, the fact that you can, right form the very beginning, disable root access over SSH.

But, the idea was to test is as Desktop, compared to Ubuntu's Karmic Koala on the same hardware. I have to say that I don't find any of the two snappier or that it would run cooler on the laptop (without firing up the fans all the time). Both OS did the same, of course, Karmic boots faster, but who gives a flying fuck about booting times? I don't.

Some post install stuff I did on the OpenBSD lappie:

$ sudo pkg_add bash
chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash


Logout and back in to reflect the changes

To avoid this:

$ sudo pkg_add screen
Can't resolve screen


I found better to do all this installs with an open a browser to the URL:

'http://openbsd.noc.jgm.gov.ar/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/packages/'

and then select and copy/paste from there the exact file name and version of the programs I wanted installed on my box.

Some other programs I have installed to make things feel more like home:

$ sudo pkg_add emacs-22.3p0-no_x11
$ sudo pkg_add screen-4.0.3p1 wget-1.11.4
$ sudo pkg_add gnome-session (12:47 AM - 01:24 AM)
$ sudo pkg_add vlc-0.8.6ip4 gimp-2.6.6p0 epiphany-2.24.3p8 epiphany-extensions-2.24.3p3


And, BTW, that http://jgm.gov.ar/ it is the Jefatura de Gabinete de Ministros... Who would have thought that my government would give me access to a cool OS, and a local, and therefore fast, access I should say.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home