Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Power shift

Save desktop space!
Changed my synergy setup, moved the server to Thor, my Quicksilver beauty, and the client now it is executed from Tango, the main benefit of the whole setup? I can tunnel the traffic between the two boxes thru SSH.

All you have to do is setup a PuTTY connection to the box running Os X (that box has to have the SSHD up & running, and the firewall has to be open to allow connections), you setup the PuTTY session, with the tunnel aiming to the port (24800 is the default), login via SSH to the Os X box, and then execute the client pointing to localhost on the client box.

Presto! That's it!

Tunneling setup on PuTTYHere is a screenshot of the PuTTY configuration, the important part, the tunnel, on the client box, on my case, Tango.
The main drawback of all of this? Space, I have an extra keyboard, the one from Thor, on the desk, while the Tango's keyboard (the one built-in on the laptop) simply stays there without being used.

I'll use the setup for a few days and post back if there is a problem.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home