Thursday, December 13, 2007

Taking gOS for a spin


Being a bit busy (a f*cked up backup server, had to reroute all some of the backups to the second one)
I read about gOS about 20 days ago, but had no time to download it yet, so I got it, and boot it on my Compaq Presario to test drive it.
There are many, many, many reviews out there.
One thing I love about it, right after I saw it ,is the GUI, the theme, the looks of it.





gOS uses Enlightenment as the Window Manager/ (light) Desktop environment, I have used it before, briefly, a couple of years ago, mostly because there was a cool (a the time) Os X Aqua theme available for it.
As I mentioned on other posts, the resolution of the Compaq Presario is a real show stopper, just look how a few Terminals clog the whole desktop... Besides, this theme it is not designed to be uses with such a meager resolution.





The icons, the Dock, or 'iBar', are really good, and it works rather well and feels snappy, even though I was running it from a live CD session. The thing I don't like much is the whole I of having a huge bar on the right side of the screen with that clock, and those 'Network Neighborhood-like' computer icon (that only echoes your IP address...)
If you have more icons on your iBar, or minimized, that the ones that they 'fit', they will scroll, so you can find the one you want.





One thing I found rather comic is that they place a Google search widget on the desktop, that the first time that you use it, it prints a huge banner warning.
Another thing, there is no screen capture program, so I had to take the screenshots the old school X Window way, and then use The Gimp to convert them to regular jpg files.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home