Friday, December 14, 2007

Adventures in Ubuntu Land: Mimicking gOS


Well, after using gOS for a while, it didn't convinced me to jump ship, so I searched a bit how to get a theme for a plain vanilla Ubuntu installation.
Googling for info on how and where I can get the wallpapers, icons, etc, found out that it seems like you can actually install it on top of your regular Ubuntu:



- Truco/Solución: Instala gOS en Ubuntu
- Is there a way to install the gOS desktop on top of a current Ubuntu installation such that it is an additionnal session option in GDM?
- HOWTO: Install gOS on Ubuntu


After installing it (it obviously adds Enlightenment to your Ubuntu box) used for some time, but it didn't convinced me either, it is not exactly like the real thing, the gOS site does warn you about the differences between the real gOS, and the Ubuntu theme:


"Currently there is a greenos-desktop package in our repository, but it will not give you the complete experience."


So I got the wallpaper, the GDM theme, and the usplash theme, and so decided to get my Ubuntu themed like gOS (see the screenshot). Using as a base the Gnome's default Mist theme, giving it a touch of green hues in various tints. Also, I wanted to replicate the main menu on gOS, that has a green leaf instead of the 'Start here' from the Windows menu, so, I googled info no how to replace the Ubuntu logo, it was a bit daunting, because most of the info available is for earlier releases, so here it is: Changing the Ubuntu Start Menu Panel Icon, and my own commands:


sudo cp ~/your.22x22.icon.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/distributor-logo.png
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/gnome/
killall gnome-panel

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home