Saturday, July 21, 2007

How I nearly f*ck*d up my Os X install


I -being reeeeaaally stupid, since I have already executed it on my PB once- wanted to use Monolingual once again last night, trying to delete a few Input Chars & unused Languages.

So I set if off, and started deleting input chars for like Chinese, etc.

After I finished, I wasn't able to type anything on the Terminal, but I was able to do so on Spotlight & Safari, for instance.


Searched on the Trash and I did found out that they were a few directories there, named "*.bundle"; after a quick Google, I found out that those should go on:

/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/


Copied those there, and voila, I was able to type on the Terminals once again!
I thought the pain was over, but then again I found out that, I wasn't able to type, for instance, my passphrase on the "Keychain Access"

Once again, I take a look on the Trash, and found out that there were some more files that looked like the culprit (besides me being the stupid who deleted those)

On the Trash, they were:

com.apple.IntlDataCache
com.apple.IntlDataCache.kbdx
com.apple.IntlDataCache.sbdl
com.apple.IntlDataCache.tecx


Another quick Googling around (I was still able to use Safari), and it showed me that those go onto:

/Library/Caches/


So I opened a Finder window onto that directory, and tried to copy the files back there. The thing is that it asked my password, and I wasn't able to type it on the popup window!
In the end, I decided to simply reboot the PowerBook.

After the reboot, all is well...

Looking back, I should have:

- Drag the files from the Trash to the Desktop.
- using Terminal, copy those files via sudo to the proper place.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home